I know that many of you were more than Helena’s students and clients, you were her friends. I thought you might find this inspiring (from the LinkedIn Post):
As many of you know, my son’s mother (my ex-wife and dear friend Helena) passed away this time last year from lung cancer. She was 47. She was never a smoker, and had no discernible risk factors. She did, however, grow up in undeveloped China where there were few controls over environmental factors, including Radon gas.
Cancer deaths from Radon exposure are estimated at 21,000 per year here in the U.S. alone.
In response to this, my son, David Trent, banded together with a group of high school friends and founded Radon Free (https://rnfree.org/) a non-profit organization dedicated to providing free home Radon gas test kits to families in need, and raising the overall awareness of the dangers of home Radon exposure.
The charity is operated entirely by high schools students, and 100% of collected monies go to providing test kits to families.
Naturally I am profoundly impressed that a group of high school students, with full plates of academics and activities, have dedicated themselves to helping others. Please feel free to check out the site, share with others, and even donate if you feel the cause to be worthy..